Friday, December 18, 2009

Big Bend Area

It really took a leap of faith and a lot of prayer to get me out of the driveway of our home on Lake Mexia.  I knew I would not be returning to it.  Talk about hard!  But then again I was headed out on an adventure.  Johnny and all of his family and the neighbors were there to see me off.  I can't say it was easy but it was the first step of my new life.  I still miss my family a lot.  If I had my way I would pack them all up to travel with me!  Email, the internet, webcams and cell phones have made the distance easier.  My nieces Lisa and Lori I do believe worried about me more than Johnny & Carol.  I think Johnny and Carol knew just how much I had prayed about my decisions.  I can't say I did not leave with some fear and tears but I knew in my heart I was doing the right thing.  I have not regretted the decision to RV. 
Like I said my first job was to be in Study Butte Texas.  I headed west on highway 84.  I was in familar territory until after I reached Gatesville.  I had decided to break the trip as much in half as possible.  I took hwy 84 to Evant then 281 down to Burnet.  From there I took state highway 29 over to Mason.  I was surprised when I was out in the middle of nowhere...or so I thought and I came across a watch for pedestrians sign!  It turns out there is a bald eagle nesting area just off the highway and lots of people stop to gawk!  Out of Mason I took hwy 377 to Junction.  I spent the night there at the KOA.  On my way into the campground I spotted a service station where I thought I would be able to get in and out!  Pulling a trailer you have to be really really really careful where you pull in because you might find yourself backing out!  NOT FUN!  While I was at the KOA I discovered that my water hose was to short so I purchased a longer one.  It still amazes me to this day when people say a campsite does not work for them because the utilities are in the wrong place!  That is what they make extensions for people!  I carry multiple water hoses and several sections of sewer hoses that can joined together if need be.  It is not the campgrounds fault if my short hose won't fit!
Can you tell I have been working in RV parks?   Ok off my soap box!  I got off the road before dark which is always my goal.  My preference is to arrive in the middle of the afternoon.  The next morning I stopped and filled up the gas tank then headed on to my distination.  Study Butte or bust...I was praying not bust!  I got onto I-10 not far from the KOA.  My little dog Ellie was in the floor in front of the passenger seat of the truck.  She was doing fine until it started raining and I turned on the windshield wipers.  Who knew they would scare her!  Over the console and into the back passenger area went this black streak.  I did not know she could move so fast.  I had to stop at the next rest area and move her bed to the back seat area.  I 10 is not very busy out in West Texas so I was able to make good time.  Just past Fort Stockton about 10 miles I turned left onto US 67.  This took me into Alpine.  Wow I was seeing west Texas! 
After leaving the hill country behind things really opened up.  Just as I arrived in Alpine I spotted a gas station with easy access!  Yeah another successful gas stop.  I took hwy 118 out of Alpine...78 miles to Study Butte!  Going south out of Alpine you have to climb a pretty high hill.  This was my  first "mountain".  Wow what a pretty view from up there.  The 78 miles from Alpine to Study Butte are really pretty.  I would make this trip once a month while I was there.  Alpine was the place to go for groceries.  I was also happy to spot a Sonic drive In as I passed through.  Alas you can't park an RV in a Sonic!  That Dr Pepper had to wait until I came back without the trailer. 
I arrived at my distination in the early afternoon.  My boss went to make sure my site was ready before coming to meet me.  He managed to run over the water connection with his golf cart and break it off.  He had to get a maintence guy fix it before he came to get me.  I was to work as a waitress out there in the cafe'.  I must admit I was not impressed with what I saw when I arrived.  But later I learned the people were nice and the food was really good!  I had never been a waitress so I had a  new skill to learn.  I must have done a good job because the tips were always good. 



I was really thrilled to be so close to Big Bend National Park.  One of the first things I did was buy a National Park Pass.  Usually on one of my days off every week I would run into the park to explore it.  It sure is a diverse area.  Most of the Park is Chihuahuan desert but then you run into the Chisos Basin and the pine covered mountains.  It is hard to believe that people actually ranched there in the not to distant past.  There is not much available for RV camping in this national park.  The tight curves in the road to the Chisos Basin campground make it impossible for most RV's.  There are some RV spaces at the Rio Grande Village however they are limited so if you plan to stay in the park make reservations.  I did a lot of hiking in the park.  Always take water with you and if at all possible go with someone else.  I made friends with the lady that clerked in the store when I was waitressing and together with her husband we hiked several trails.  I hiked the Sam Nail ranch trail alone the first time.  It is fascinating to me that anyone would dream of having a ranch out there.  The desert has pretty much reclaimed most of what was the ranch.  However one of the water wells is still producing water.  Birds and other animals come there to drink. 



 There are black bears and mountain lions in the area so it is a good idea to make some noise as you hike.  Don't want to surprise one of these guys!  One of the guys that worked in the park told me about a face to face he had with a black bear one evening about dusk.  He was riding his motorcyle and looked up and saw a bear coming down the mountain at him.  He said the bear landed on the road right in front of him!  He stopped to keep from hitting it and the bear stopped and looked at him then ambled off!  Whew that was a close one!  One of my favorite spots in the park is Sotol Vista.  From there you look down toward St Elena Canyon.  Wow what a beautiful sunset you can see from there.  I took a picnic up there one evening and waited for the sun to go down.  It is very quite and peaceful and the view is spectacular.  Before I left I heard a noise in the brush and discovered I had been joined by some deer. 


Because I arrived in the area in late January and stayed until April I was able to experience 2 seasons in the park.  Winter which is pretty stark and spring which really blooms!  Wow the desert is pretty with every thing blooming. 



People ask me all the time if it is worth seeing.  My answer is yes, however you need to park your car and do a little hiking to really get a feel for the place.  If you just drive though you will only touch the tip!  There are a lot of neat places that are fairly easy to hike and not very far!  I ended up going back there the next year for the same time because I did not feel I had seen all it had to offer.  Being out there is almost like taking a step back in time to the old west days.  Because I was there for several months I was able to visit a few places most don't see.  If you click on the title above it will link to the National park system website for Big Bend!  Check it out you might be surprised. 
I also wrote a book how I got on the road. I go into more details about what is involved in living full time in an RV. Here is a link to it on Amazon Yes, You Can Full-time RVing for the Single Person I have been told that even people that don't travel alone have found it useful.



No comments:

Post a Comment