Friday, December 18, 2009

My Full-time RV lifestyle

I thought I would start a blog about my lifestyle.  I love living full time in an RV, most of the time.  When I first started out 5 years ago I lived in a 25 foot Jayco Kiwii Too that I pulled with a Ford F150.  I was an experienced RVer however I still had a lot to learn.  The beginning of my life in an RV started with my divorce.  I was forced to make some lifestyle changes and decided to give my dream of seeing the country and living in an RV a try.  After all what did I have to lose?  I wrote a book about how I got started and tips on how others could do the same. It is called Yes, You Can Full-time RVing for the Single Person.   I have been asked by several to write another book but I decided to Blog instead.

I admit the lifestyle is not without it's trials but for the most part I find great joy in my lifestyle.  When I first hit the road I was afraid I would not be able to support the life I had chosen.  I have found that while the winters are hard I can find plenty of work in the summer season.  I do not have extravagant needs and am not a shopper by nature.  Most of my souveniors are pictures.  I take lots and lots of pictures.  I rarely get one developed on to paper.  I store them on my computer and on disks as backup.  I can sit and watch my life unfold just watching my screen saver. It brings back so many good memories.   Sometimes I get down right nostalgic looking at the places and faces I have seen in the past few years on the road.  What a beautiful country we really have. 
The first thing I had to do when I decided to be a Full time RVer and workamper was find a job!  I wish I was able to travel without making a living but this just is not the case for me.  I like to eat and need to pay for my home on wheels.  The first trailer I had was fairly small to live in full time but it worked for me.  It was also good that I started small because I was able to build my confidence as I went along.  I found my first job via the Workamper News website.  I watched the postings on their hotline every day until I finally found one I thought I could handle.  I was really excited and scared at the same time when I got the jobMy very first workamper job was at the Big Bend Motor Inn and Cafe in Study Butte Texas.  It was within a mile of the Big Bend National Park.  It was a great opportunity to explore the Park.  I had lived in Texas all my life and never been to Big Bend.  It was over 500 miles out to Big Bend from my home in Mexia Texas.  I only had a few days to prepare for the trip.  I already had a truck but I had to go out and get the RV after I secured a job.  By the way RV stand for recreational vehicle...some people think only motorhomes are RVs!  Travel trailers, 5th wheels and motorhomes are all RVs.  You can't pack everything you own in an RV.  Well, if you could you would not want too. You will need stuff but you will find that you don't need near as much as you did when you lived in a big stick house.  Also the more you can keep the weight down the better. 
I am a Christian!  I believe that fact is what has made it possible for me to enjoy my life on the road.  I could never do this alone.  God is my co-pilot and has helped me make the right decisions!  I have been so blessed in my travels and the friends I have made along the way. 
I plan to chronicle my travels here.  It will take awhile as I have had some really neat experiences.  My next post will be about my time at Big Bend Motor Inn.

3 comments:

  1. Oh goody a blog by Aunt Joy. I am impressed I would not even know how to set one up. I am looking forward to hearing some stories I might not have known! I love you and miss you always!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Lori...I love you too. If you think of anything I need to include let me know!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I finally got to sit down and read all this...I think it is so cool! Just another way to keep up with you and make sure you are doing ok. I think this will help others too that are full timers. Christmas went by fast!!! Love you and miss you! Call when you can...

    Love ya, Lisa

    ReplyDelete