Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Garrett Arrives!

It was April and time to leave my very first Workamping job and move on to my 2nd.  I decided to go spend a week sitting in Johnny & Carol's driveway.  This is my home base.  Well things don't always go according to plan.  My niece Lori was expecting a baby and had been put on bed rest.  So I left my trailer in Johnny's driveway and headed to Whitehouse Texas to spend some time with Lori.  Spending a lot of time confined to a sofa is not Lori's idea of fun.  But it had to be and she was willing to do whatever it took to keep her baby safe.  Bless her heart she was having a difficult time.  On Wednesday I headed back to Mexia to get ready for my trip.  I sure hated to leave knowing Lori was having troubles but I needed to get ready to head out to my second Workamping job.  I planned to leave Mexia the next Sunday and head to Iowa. 
Lisa had brought their dog Harley to Mexia to have surgery on Thursday.  He was to be "fixed" at the local vets.  Friday was the day Harley was to be picked up. 

Well Friday started out just like any other "normal" day.  By noon things had taken a turn.  Lori was being rushed to Presbyterian hospital in Dallas for an emergency C section!  Johnny called me and said he was on the way to the Vets office to pick up Harley then he was headed to Dallas.  I wanted to go so bad but someone had to stay and take care of the dog.  It sure was hard to stay in Mexia but I knew I was more help there than sitting at the hospital.  My prayers went with them. 
Little Garrett was born that day!  What a tiny little blessing.  He weighed just 2 lbs 12 ounces at birth.  Lori and Garrett both had a rough time but we were blessed with a great outcome.  Garrett was born six weeks premature so a long hospital stay was in store for them. 
I so hated to leave while they were going through this tough time.  However I could not afford to stay.  So on Sunday morning early I hooked up my trailer and followed Johnny into Dallas to meet Garrett for the very first time.  I was really nervous to pull my trailer through Dallas but seeing Lori and Garrett made the stress worth it.  Johnny had arranged for me to park the truck and trailer in the hotel parking lot where he was going to stay.  Then we went to the hospital with Harley.  Harley had to stay in the truck while we visited.  Butchie picked him up to take him back home.  It was so good to see Lori.  She looked pale and worried but was doing as well as could be expected.  I got to scrub up and go in to see Garrett.  What a tiny little blessing!  Wow that little guy had fight in him!  That next couple of months would not be easy but he and Lori both made it.  It was hard to leave but I knew they were in good hands.
Lori and Garrett in July

1 comment:

  1. I never knew the side story about Harley. It is neat hearing stories we both went through from someone else's perspective. Garrett was 10 weeks early. He has truly been our little miracle from God and he loves his Aunt Joy!

    ReplyDelete